Shreve Family Swarm Removal

We did an interesting swarm removal for the Shreve family in Westlake on September 11, 2017.  The bees were in a difficult location.  They were in some vines on a fence.  We tried to cut out some of the vines, but we still couldn’t get to them.  The fence and the vines were sturdy so we couldn’t shake them into the box.  Kenny had to reach in and grab handfuls of them.  They moved around on us a couple of times.  At some point we managed to get the queen in the box and the other bees just marched right in after her.  It was a beautiful sight!  It was getting dark on us and we were afraid we wouldn’t get everyone.  We were very lucky.  We checked the hive yesterday and we were happy to see that they are doing very well.



Busy Bees

We’ve been learning a lot during our Introduction to Beekeeping Class and apiary days.  Kenny and I have also been doing research so we can learn as much as we can about our bees.  Our interest has grown so much that we decided to purchase another hive and to bring them to our house.  We made the arrangements and picked up the hive around 8:00 PM on Tuesday, May 30th.

It was the first time we transported and unloaded bees on our own.  We were like first time parents coming home with a newborn.  Did we put them in the best location?  Did we put them facing the right direction?  Would they thrive like they were doing at their original location?  It was not only a financial investment, but an emotional one too.

I checked on them (from a distance) several times yesterday.  I could easily see them flying in and out of the hive.  There was a lot of movement and I was glad we made it through the first 24 hours.  Today was a little different.  I really couldn’t see much going on.  I told myself that it probably had to do with the weather.  I was hoping the rain was what was keeping them inside more than yesterday.

This evening we decided to take a closer look.  I can’t begin to tell you how excited I was to see our girls working so hard.  There was a lot of movement in the hive.  A few of the girls were flying in and out.  And the ones flying in were full of pollen!  It was such a relief to see that they have started to explore and are doing exactly what they should be doing.  Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come!